Saturday, October 3, 2015

Healthy-er Pumpkin Mac


I LOVE macaroni & cheese! I'm okay with the box stuff, but the real cheesy, bubbly, southern mac & cheese...mmmm...so good! It's one of my favorite comfort foods, especially this time of year!
Well, I've been on a bit of a physical transformation over the past year, and have significantly changed how I eat. I still like to indulge here and there, but for the most part, I like to keep it clean and healthy. 
This recipe is still really rich. There is A LOT of cheese! But I made a few substitutions to cut out some of the calories, and add a few more nutrients. 



Here's what you need for this delicious Pumpkin Mac:
1 box whole wheat penne, cooked al dente
1 lb cooked ground beef
1 1/2 cups broccoli florets
3 TBSP unsalted butter
3 TBSP flour
3 cups unsweetened almond milk
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp paprika
1 TBSP dijon mustard
2 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
3/4 cup parmesan cheese
3/4 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs

1)Mix first 3 ingredients, place in a lightly greased casserole dish. set aside.
2)In a pot, over medium heat, make a roux by whisking together the butter and flour. 
3)Add milk, seasoning, and mustard, continue to whisk until boiling.
4)Add cheeses. When completely melted, add pumpkin.
5)Pour mixture over the pasta and coat completely.
6)Top with bread crumbs, and a little more cheese, and dot with butter.
7)Bake at 375 for about 30 minutes, or until golden and bubbly

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment